Sunday, April 20, 2014

Too close to count

Today, I put in a long day of writing (it all takes a little bit longer as the days wear on) and finished my last two papers. Tomorrow, I'll read them over, make sure the citations as ship-shape, and send them in. These last two are supposed to be shorter than the previous four, so I've had to cut out a lot. My hope is that they still show the extent of my knowledge of what I have read - not easy with 5000 words, maximum total for two essays, based on 45 books. I've had to focus on a couple of smaller issues to address the questions, and hope that the books I've chosen  to zero in on can serve as a sort of synecdoche for the rest of the field. Focusing on concepts and issues, rather than details. Spoiler alert: the cannibalism metaphor has resurfaced.

I am so close that I can practically taste it.

I have to say, though, that this week would be impossible without a few good friends (you know who you are, if you're reading this!). Feeding me, reassuring me, distracting me, printing stuff for me when the grad lab printer is out of ink, bringing chocolate, sharing coping strategies, sharing cups of tea, sending text messages of solidarity, lending an ear, lending a heating pad...nothing will ever make comps "easy" but good friends sure make it easier. The past few days have been a bit ridiculous and I am so, so grateful to have such a great support network.

Next step: preparing for the oral. It's tricky to read professors' minds, but that won't stop me from trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment