Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Four questions

Today, I handed in my first two essays. Four more to go! Two of these are due on Wednesday, and I now have bits and pieces of drafts for each. I anticipate tomorrow being a very long day as I work to finish and then polish them. I am becoming nervous about the time crunch that is impending. In order to finish the two papers for Friday on time, I really should have these done by late afternoon tomorrow, so that I can spend the evening outlining and composing Friday's essays and then proofread the Wednesday ones in the morning (morning gives me the clearest proof reading, I've found). I don't want to find out what happens if I hand in a drafty-looking paper, or worse yet, notes or partial notes. I assume I would fail, and I know I have the intellectual ability to pass. I'm already regretting spending so much time focusing on the liberal order framework. Failure would really sting. Ok. That was the understatement of the century.

I can't wait to share these with people. I'm not sure how original my arguments are (probably not exceptionally) but I am overall proud with what I've written so far. I'm not sure how kosher that is, however, so they'll remain hidden until after my oral.

On the topic of kosher...this was the most meagre Seder I've ever eaten: a tin of lentil soup, microwaved in the graduate lounge. I've revised the traditional Passover four questions to reflect my new circumstances: why am I eating a tin of lentil soup? Why did I open the door to yell at the undergraduates studying in the hallway outside? Why am I reading notes about violence instead of the Haggadah? Why am I in the office for yet another late night? Once this is done, I'll celebrate with some of my favourite Pesach treats. Note to self: in the future, don't book academic engagements that conflict with holidays!

On all other pesachs, we have a Seder with friends or family. Why on this night am I alone in the office?
On all other pesachs, we have a feast. Why on this night am I eating canned soup?
On all other pesachs, we open the door to eliyahu. Why on this night did I open the door to tell the undergrads cramming for exams outside to shut the **** up?
On all other pesachs, we read from the Haggadah. Why on this night am I reading from my notes about the gendered dimensions of colonial violence?
If I only pass these comps, DAYENU.

No comments:

Post a Comment