Thursday, May 28, 2015

Adventures in Archives...And Emergency Rooms

Ottawa hates me. This is, right now, all that I can conclude.

I'm finally back in the archives. Yes, back. For the past two weeks, I've been too sick to eat more than the occasional morsel, or even drink much for some of that time. Lots of pain. Several trips to the hospital. I'll spare the details. For two weeks, the time I've spent in the archives has been minimal, which is supremely disappointing! It's a saga that's distinctly not fun, and I'm still not feeling quite up to standard, but I'm going to get back to work as best I can. I suppose this goes to show the old adage about best laid plans. Fortunately, I do have the opportunity to come back to Ottawa in the summer, and can finish up some of these boxes then.

One heartening thing I have found, however, is that the archives are not as soulless as one might imagine. The security guards whom I'd chatted with on breaks asked me if I was alright and how I was doing, welcoming me back. The archivists and privacy analysts are being understanding of my adjusted time frame. So it's not all bad - just disappointing.

Next step, two conferences and a few more days in the archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment