Sunday, April 13, 2014

"One midnight gone!"

Technically, six midnights gone and a seventh approaching, but that doesn't jive as well with the lyrics from Into the Woods.

I've finished the two papers for one of my fields. After much deliberation, I removed the Octopus of Liberalism metaphor from my state formation paper - defining liberalism, in my paper, is now described merely as a complex endeavor, rather than "akin to dressing an octopus in formal wear." The old version will live on in my heart.

Tomorrow, I plan to proofread these papers early in the day, and then get them off my chest (I'll post them here, too, on the off-chance that somebody out there is truly dreaming of reading my comps essays...). I can never proofread too many times - today I misplaced an L, so that Greer's "Peasant, Lord, and Merchant" turned into "Pleasant, Lord, and Merchant" and "public women" having a connotation of promiscuity turned into "pubic women." Tempted as I was to leave the typos for comic relief for my examiners, I decided to air on the side of caution/sensibility.

After proofing, it'll be time to iron out the outlines for my two gender papers - one addressing knowledge creation, and the other colonial violence in Canada. I have a general concept for each, and notes that exceed the word limit for the papers, but they are in no semblance of organization at the moment. By the end of the day, that'll change. I'll be on campus tomorrow, to take advantage of the chance for a mountain hike as a short break and to congratulate friends who are defending their prospectuses tomorrow and who will certainly deserve a drink afterwards. Since I'm hoping to get an early start on the mountain (of work, atop the mountain where my office sits), I'm having an "early" night tonight. Here's to another good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment